Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Pat on the Back Moment

*Disclaimer: the following post may make you throw up a bit in your mouth.

This is my first year teaching.  I'm 27 years old, I graduated from Iowa State University in 2008, and this is my first year teaching.  I graduated as an elementary education, special education major.  I never thought in a million years that I would be teaching high school special education.  But here I am.  Now for the pat on the back... they love me, they really, honestly love me.  I have been told repeatedly that I am doing a fantastic job.  That they think I'm a God send for some of these students that need someone to help motivate them and be proud of them.  Well, today after a difficult IEP meeting, my principal fist bumped me and told me I was amazing.  He than told me that the head of special services (who had had misgivings about my ability to manage a classroom) had told a potential hire in an interview that I was the best teacher he had ever hired and the best in the district.   I don't know why you'd tell someone you want to possibly hire that there is someone they'll be measured against, but he did.  So I'm feeling pretty proud of myself right now... and thanks for reading.

7 comments:

  1. Way to go, Shanabanana! I always knew you were amazing, but I am sure it is nicer to hear that from someone that is not blood! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here I am reading the story waiting for the part where you pooped you pants, someone else pooped their pants (and you had to clean it up) or some other gross bodily function was strewn across the room.

    False advertising, Shannon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cried when I read this post because you are amazing, Shannon Jane. So proud of you! Keep up the good work. I love you!...your mom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is an awesome compliment, especially knowing who it was coming from!! Yay for Shannon!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Saweet validation! Awesome. Way to go!
    Just discovering your blog. (I haven't been reading anyone's for toooo long!) Sam pointed it out to me, because he thought this was cool.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are very proud of you, Shannon. Glad too that you've had the chance to find out what a great teacher you are. You are so talented at so many things.
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete