Sunday, March 31, 2013

Kyle turned 28!

Sometimes it feels like we are getting so old, but other times it feels like we are still babies.  On the 25th of March, my wonderful husband turned 28!  If you know Kyle, you'll know that he loves to do crazy, over the top stuff for me, but hates to have the same done for him.  Well, this year, I may have gone a little too much in the opposite direction of over the top.  His birthday was quiet and not terribly exciting.  On Friday evening, before his birthday on Monday, Kyle's brother Kent, his wife, Kate, and their three kids came to visit.  It was a lot of fun to have them here.  We all crammed into our little apartment and had a fun weekend.  On Saturday, we made breakfast, then did some 'sight seeing' around Rexburg.  Not that there is a lot to see, so we ended up heading to St. Anthony, so they could see my classroom.  For lunch we grilled chicken thighs, ranch potatoes and asparagus.   So Yummy!  For dessert I made a strawberry cream pie.  My grandmother made  a recipe for a rhubarb cream pie, and this was very similar to that.  I tweaked the recipe to make it more like my grandmother's, I just added strawberries instead of rhubarb.  It was delicious, but not very pie like, more like a soup.  Better luck next time.  But Kyle loved it with the homemade whipped cream, so I considered it a success.  We didn't seem to take any pictures of the weekend, except for a few.  So here's one of Stone and Kyle eating their pie soup!


On Sunday, to further the birthday celebrations, we made home-made pizza for lunch.  Kyle LOVES pizza.  I remember in college it seemed that Kyle could and would eat pizza everyday and never get tired of it.   I grew up making home-made pizza, and it's one of our favorite meals.  I have a pizza crust recipe from my Betty Crocker cookbook, and we make our own sauce out of tomato sauce.  I feel like I finally have it perfected.  We had a hankering for brownies, and soon realized that I didn't have a box mix lying around.  So out comes a R.S. cookbook we had gotten for our wedding.  There's a simple brownie recipe called "President Kimball's Favorite Brownies.'  I decided to give them a go, and have now decided that I can never go back to box brownies.  Kyle topped his with the home-made whipped cream from the day before and he was in heaven.

On Monday, Kyle's actual birthday, he came to see me at my school for lunch. He does this every once in a while and my students LOVE him.  They will frequently ask about him, and if someone happened to see him in the hallway, and then he's gone before they get to my class, there's an uproar.  He's a very popular guy.  Later that evening we did absolutely nothing.  Kyle is very busy with school and as the semester is ending, his birthday was no exception.  I think all in all he had an enjoyable birthday.  And we look forward to celebrating another year.

1 comment:

  1. Shannon, you do such nice things for Kyle and so many others. He's a lucky man. We so wish we could have celebrated his birthday with him this year. Can't believe he's 28!!!

    ReplyDelete