Monday, May 27, 2013

Dress #2

   Well, here it is! Dress #2 ended up being a little unusual.  If you've been reading my other posts you'll know that I made a skirt for Katelyn out of my blue and cream striped material.  I had plans to make myself a skirt since that didn't leave enough to make a dress.  Well, one day I was digging through some of my 'scrape' material and I found a t-shirt.  To back up a bit, on my mission there was this great lady in St. Marys with whom we spent a lot of time.  She had a small embroidery business and was able to get all sorts of shirts at wholesale price.  I think the shirts were about $2 a piece so I ended up buying about ten in various colors. I later went through a stage where I didn't like the necks of any t-shirts so I cut off the collar.  Then I realized (thanks, Amy) that they look pretty cruddy, and weren't really appropriate to wear like that.  I tried sewing the collar, but it never looked quite right.  So I ended up with quite a few useless t-shirts that are still waiting for my skillful hand to bring them back to life.  I found a cream one in that pile and it turns out that it matches perfectly with my blue and cream material.  So I did the only logical thing and made it into the top of a dress.  Pretty simple really.  I just scaled it down a bit, since I usually buy my t-shirts pretty big. I even fixed the collar, and then attached it to the bottom, and voila!  I love it!  the bottom is thin and airy, perfect for summer, and the top is a comfortable t-shirt.  


4 comments:

  1. I'm so impressed/jealous of your talents, Shannon! I can't decide which one i like more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are Miss Creative! And now you've got a cute new summer dress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, first of all, you make me want to learn how to sew. Secondly, I think your dress is cute. You should totally accessorize with a thin yellow belt or something around your waist (where the waistline is on the dress). It's fabulous!

    ReplyDelete