Saturday, February 23, 2013

Our Life

It seems like the last few months have been so crazy.  On top of our busy schedules, I think we all need some warm weather and sunshine. 

In December two major things took place.  On Thursday, November 29th, I got pink eye.  This was no fun, but to be expected when you teach in a school.  I went to the doctor and took the opportunity to discuss with him some of my health questions and concerns.  We talked about my family’s medical history and ultimately decided that I should come in the next day for a blood glucose test.  On Monday I got a phone call with the results.  I was diagnosed as being severely insulin resistant.  This means that my body produces enough insulin but that my body doesn’t know how to use it.  I went in for an appointment the next day, and my wonderful doctor explained everything to me.  I had already been inspired to change my eating habits in a way that I felt would best suite me, and it turned out that I was pretty much doing exactly what the doctor suggested.  The only addition was to make sure I get carbs in the morning, and plenty of protein throughout the day.  Insulin resistance is a pre-diabetic condition that never goes away, but with diet, exercise and medication it can be controlled.  Finding out about my insulin resistance and getting on medication has completely changed the way I feel everyday.  I had no idea how much I didn’t feel good, until I actually started feeling better.  It’s difficult sometimes to stick to the diet, but I am feel so much better when I do.

While Kyle and I were at the pharmacy picking up my prescription after the doctor appointment, our Bishop called and asked to meet us at our home.  I assumed it was just a visit, sometimes the Bishopric will do that.  Kyle jokingly asked me what big calling I would be getting.  I assured him that it was just a visit.  It wasn’t just a visit.  I was called to be the Relief Society president in our married student ward.  I was shocked and overwhelmed.  In one day, I had felt like my life had done a complete 180.  I just keep reminding myself that Heavenly Father knows what He’s doing, and I am just along for the ride.  My life had changed for the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment